I have been to an international travel fair in New York City. As part of the fair, one of my companies was offering a special deal that allowed travelers to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before they leave the United States. It is an online form which you fill out and submit before leaving. The idea is that it will speed up the process if you need to travel internationally soon.
A person can plan to choose the ESTA visa service that are available at a reasonable rate. There are various problems that the person might face. A person should have the idea of the problems so that they can find the solutions to the problem on time and help to reach the goals.
The problem with this program is that it is not available to me. My company has offered it to its employees and only to those who live within the United States. I live in Canada but am traveling to spend a week in New York. How can I find out if I am eligible to use this program or if there are any other options for me?
There are two ways to look into this issue:
- Check if your ESTA visa application is approved. If your ESTA application is pending approval, you may want to consider submitting a new ESTA application. This would be best because it could save you time waiting on the old one to be approved. However, keep in mind that the old application may still be valid until the date that it expires.
- Check if your ESTA is cancelled. You may also want to consider re-applying for an ESTA after you return from your trip. If you were denied boarding while abroad, you could also seek assistance through your airline’s customer service department to help you re-apply for an ESTA.
Before we continue, let’s take a moment to understand what an ESTA is and how it works. An ESTA allows foreign nationals entering the U.S. to stay for ninety days without having to obtain a visa. There are certain exceptions to this including people who are seeking asylum, refugees, and victims of human trafficking. When you’re ready to learn more about ESTAs, make sure to read our article on how to get an ESTA.
If your ESTA remains pending approval, then you should continue following these steps:
- Call the U.S. Embassy in your home country to see if your ESTA application is complete. They can help you determine if there are missing documents or if you need to provide additional information. Then, once the embassy receives all required information, they will forward it along to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Let us know immediately when you receive a call back from the embassy. We can explain that you will need to return to the U.S. within 90 days of receiving approval. You will then need to present yourself at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection office near the airport where you’ll be departing. After providing identification and completing paperwork, you will be allowed entry into the U.S. At the end of the day, you will be instructed to report to immigration officials where you will be processed for removal. If you miss the 90-day window to depart, you will likely face delays that could result in lost employment, missed business meetings, and more.
Even though you have already received approval for your ESTA, you will need to reapply. Make sure to follow these steps:
- Call the U.S. Embassy in your home country again to verify your details. Verify all addresses and phone numbers. If you’ve changed any of them since applying for your ESTA, update them now.
- Re-submit your application to the U.S. Embassy using the same details as your original application. Be sure to include all updated information including your current address, phone number, and email address.
- Once you receive the new ESTA, you should immediately contact us so we can confirm receipt. Our staff will forward your request to the appropriate government agency for processing.
If your ESTA is cancelled, you will need to follow these steps:
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in your home country to determine why your ESTA has been cancelled. Call the embassy and ask to speak to someone regarding your ESTA cancellation. Let them know that you wish to submit another application.
- Follow the instructions provided by the embassy.
- Complete the new ESTA application and fax it to the embassy.
- Give us a call and tell us that you just sent your new ESTA application. Once your second application is approved, it will replace your first ESTA.
- You may also choose to send your application directly to the Department of Homeland Security. To do so, you will need to have the necessary documents and information ready before sending it off. In most cases, this option is recommended due to the fact that DHS is able to respond faster than the U.S. Embassy in your home country. However, it does require some initiative on your part. We recommend contacting us so we can discuss the various options with you.